These are even better than the specialty eggrolls like at Chili’s restaurant… a little time consuming but way worth it. Sometimes egg roll wraps are hard to find. I found mine at Walmart but was in the produce dept of all things. You definitely have to like cilantro if you follow this recipe. I am sure it would be good even without it.
1 pkg egg roll wrappers
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
pico de gallo (recipe following)
egg wash (I used 1 egg plus 1 Tbsp water)
sour cream or cilantro dip (recipe following)
2 fresh jalapenos, deseeded
1/3 c fresh cilantro
1/2 c mayonaise
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c buttermilk
1/3 c green tomatilla salsa
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
couple shakes of black pepper
PICO DE GALLO
3/4 lb tomatoes, deseeded, chopped
1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1. Brown hamburger and onion until brown. Add taco seasoning and follow directions on package.
2. Lay out egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape. Add a spoonful of meat mixture, a little bit of pico de gallo, and then cheese. Use egg mixture with fingers around edge of egg roll wrap. Roll up like a closed burrito. There are detailed directions on how to roll these on the back of the package of egg rolls.
3. Heat an inch or two of oil in a pan. Add a few rolls and brown. Turn over and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels.
Taco Egg Rolls
4. To make cilantro dip, add the jalapeno in blender or food processor. Pulse until chopped well. Add cilantro and pulse again until chopped. Then add remaining ingredients.
5. To make the pico, mix everything together in a bowl. Don’t make this the night before, it gets too wet.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!